Well, she took more than a weekend, but she’s done!
I managed to paint her face – with only one or two paintovers of the eyes. I started with arcylic paints, and then I switched to pastel pencils. The pastels didn’t blend as well as I thought they would, and, if I make another one, I think I’ll use oil pastels with a bit of water. The next time I’ll probably make a stencil for the eyes, too, and maybe I’ll manage to get them to look symmetrical.
And here she lay for a few days while I contemplated what she was going to wear.
The woman who wrote the pattern, Anya Balybina, translated two parts of her Russian language only class into the patterns I bought, but she hasn’t yet (or may never, I don’t know) translated the parts about clothing the doll and attaching hair. By the way, if you’re ever looking for doll tutorials, and don’t mind some awkward google translation (or if you understand Russian), this site, I think it’s called Livemaster, I’m not even sure if that’s what it’s called or that’s the closest translation, but it has tons of tutorials you can plop into google translate. The Russians are huge into crafting dolls.
But, googling along to Russia aside, I was left to my own devices for the finishing up. I decided to do what I know best, and knit. I downloaded a bunch of vintage knit Barbie clothes patterns from Etsy for a buck a piece, changed the gauge, and adjusted here and there and voila!
Well, that’s not voila! yet. That mess above was the crazy construction necessary to be able to get the sweater onto Barbie – the back needs to be snapped shut in order to get the clothes on and off. If I make another someday, I’ll definitely knit in the round, because I can always sew the head on after, like I did with this one.
Here’s the real voila!
How cute is that sweater!!! Man I hate knitting stripes though – all of those ends to weave in – sheesh! All of that work for a doll that’s just going to sit in my craftroom. But, the fun is in these little details, so it’s all good.
Time to sew on the head! Oh, and maybe she needs some pants. For the pants, I just cut off a leg of one of my old jeans, traced around the doll right onto the back of the jeans, sewed up the seams, and cut it out. Another, Voila! Jeans.
For hair, I used some roving that I had leftover from a needle felting kit I never finished – I just poked it onto her head.
And now she can take her place among the other dolls of the craft room!
And altogether now!
Her clothes are definitely my best effort so far – it definitely helps to work in your comfort zone. Although – it may be too close to my comfort zone – Joe says I made a mini-me. I can see his point – my blond hair is gone, and I’m back to the dark brown, and she is wearing a handknit sweater and jeans, my fall/winter uniform. But, that wasn’t my intent.
So, now I’m feeling like clay. But, it’s really hot again, and I don’t know if I have the patience for it – I think that’ll wait until fall – real fall, not this faux fall with 98 degree heat. I really want to take these classes by Adele Po, but that’s not in my budget at the moment. Maybe my holiday present to me! I do want to continue to paint heads, so this weekend I might just sew up a bunch of heads, and the ones I like will get a body – doll eugenics! I think it’s an acceptable method of survival of the fittest in this case at least. Not quite natural selection, but I’m the creator, so I’m good with it.
Have a great weekend! Next time, I’ll show you the great bead fail!