Have I even mentioned, since I resurrected the blog, that I joined one of the most fantastic online clubs ever? I may have dropped a few lines in passing, but it deserves a little more attention.
In January, Vanessa Vargas Wilson, the Crafty Gemini, launched her online quilt club.
Every month there’s a featured project (a tote bag, a wallet, a mini applique art quilt, for example), a Mystery Block of the Month quilt clue, weekly UStream chats, interviews with prominent crafter/sewers/quilters, and a monthly giveaway – and she gives away really sweet stuff. If you click the button, you can see examples of all of the projects, and each month’s giveaway. There’s a Facebook community, and, in an effort to foster an even tighter knit quilty bunch, there’s a monthly swap. But, unlike most swaps, this swap is not anonymous. You get your partner’s email, and you have to engage in conversation to get your partner’s address. I’ve met a bunch of great women, from very diverse backgrounds, and I’ve learned something from each swap. The first month was a mug rug, and I did my first applique. The second month was a zipper pouch, and while I had done a zipper before, I went a little zipper crazy, and not only did I make the little pouch, but I made a bionic gear bag.
This month the swap was some kind of a sewing room organizer. Vanessa did a tutorial for these baskets, which are quick and easy, but I decided to jump on the one-hour basket bandwagon that’s all over Instagram. I signed up for my first Instagram swap, which isn’t due out until June, so I thought I’d practice making the basket with this swap.
Did I show you this?
I have to admit, though, it took me more than an hour
First, I spent an hour hour creating the exterior. I used this quilt as you go tutorial from the Crafty Gemini and Missouri Star Quilts. Easy peasy. And, then I put it away for the evening, thinking I was in good shape for the next night.
I thought everything was perfect – my exterior looked fab, I had a matching solid for the interior, my handles were cut from the leftover quilted exterior, I was all ready to sew them all together.
But, they didn’t go together – at all. My interior was way too small, or my exterior was too large – I could not get them to nest. I spent a good half hour trying to make it work, before I gave up and just decided to redo it. Boo.
I must have measured wrong somewhere.
So, I sewed a new lining, this time using the same seam allowance as the exterior (in the pattern the exterior is sewn at 1/2″ and the interior 5/8″) and the second time around, all was good. And, had I just accepted that the original lining wasn’t going to work, and done a resew right at that moment, I think it probably would have only taken maybe 15 minutes to a half hour to finish the thing up. In the end, it all took two evenings, but that was my fault. In the finished basket, the lining is probably a tad big, but it looks good, and I was happy with it.
And, hopefully my swappee will be too, since I’m of to the post office and then to court.
And then I will return to the business of plotting my Maryland Sheep and Wool shopping route. Miss Babs, here I come!